Va Heng Macau: Amazing traditional noodles from this Noodle Maker

egg noodles

Here’s my favourite noodle shop Va Heng that’s been making noodles for the last 5 generations. They also do the best and purest oyster sauce (168MOP) per bottle but you only need a dollop because it’s so salty with the giddy flavours of the sea, you will never use Lee Kum Kee ever again. Best used over blanched vegetables! I am not a fan of XO sauce, but they also do homemade bottles. They go through a few hundred eggs a day to make noodles all day.

making egg noodles macau

making making noodles
Kind of what we get when making the dough for pasta.

making noodles mcau
Then they go into these giant steamer/frying equipment at the back of the shop to become this:

macau crispy noodles

I’ve only bought noodles here once, usually I go next door to have those noodles with specially homemade beancurd. More on that in my next post!

Va Heng fabrica de massas de farinha
澳门果栏街45号

Technorati Tags: , , ,

6 Comments

1. Susan Blumberg-Kason
    Nov 30, 2012 @ 06:33:49

Wow, these noodles look delicious! I love that photo of them balled up in the bamboo steamer. Their oyster sauce sounds divine. That’s so funny about Lee Kum Kee. I prefer oyster sauce to XO sauce. Can’t wait to read about the other noodle shop you frequent more often.

2. baobabs
    Dec 01, 2012 @ 21:41:20

they are yum! and lee kum kee is sweet and salty, I’ve just realised nothing like the real oyster sauce filled with salty flavours of the sea!

3. Heidi Leon Monges (@heidileon)
    Dec 03, 2012 @ 02:40:12

Love shops with that type of pedigree. Means they really know what they are doing and are proud of their product. I must buy some fresh noodles and try that oyster sauce over veggies. Next time I´m around the area.

4. Macau Bites: Veng Kei Tofu & Noodles :: Juliana Loh
    Dec 16, 2012 @ 22:45:08

[...] made of – thick home made pork ribs broth, and a variety of noodles (bought from the store next door. – the local noodle [...]

5. Katya Mendes da Maia
    Feb 09, 2014 @ 06:31:25

Wow, these look like a real deal. Those noodles on a steamer are quite thick – are they for any particular kind of dishes? So these are egg noodles with wheat?

6. bilbaobab
    Feb 09, 2014 @ 09:42:52

Egg and flour noodles and yes given their al dente texture, they definitely have wheat in them. You can have them in soup or dry, served with dumplings, or tofu. The dried ones are with broth and can be kept for a longer time, so you only need to put them in a pot with a bowl of water and you get a noodle broth soup with the noodles. They sell them in shrimp roe flavour and beef broth flavour. They are the real deal!! Great grandfather is kneading dough with great grandson, an old (dying) family tradition!